Thursday, June 23, 2011

Walmart Shopping 101


Walmart is one of those places I tried to avoid like the plague before I started using coupons. Now, I just power though the crowded parking lots and crowded isles and mostly unhelpful associates because of all the savings I get. Walmart has a great coupon policy and here are a few of my favorite parts:


They will match any local competitor’s advertised price.
and they do not require you to have the ad with them to honor a competitor’s ad.  

Walmart will match the following types of ads:
  • buy one, get one free ads with a specified price
  • ads that feature a specific item at a specific price
  • preferred shopping card advertised prices for specific items
  • fresh produce and meat prices

Walmart Coupon Policy 

 

Walmart will accept the following coupons:

  • manufacturer's coupons
  • Internet printable coupons
  • competitor's coupons that have a specific price listed
  • soft drink container caps
  • Catalina coupons clearly labeled as "manufacturer's coupon"
My favorite part of the coupon policy is this line:

'If coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.'
 
This means if you have an item that costs .97 cents and you have a coupon for $1.00 off that item you will be able to use that remaining .03 cents towards the rest of the items in your cart. It may not seem like a lot at first, but it will start to add up.

Please see the Ad Match Policy and Coupon Policy for additional clarification regarding each type of sale, as well as overall guidelines and limitations. I suggest you print both the policies and keep them with you while shopping. They even have nifty .pdf files with photos that your can download and print out too.

As far as my feeling towards Walmart go they have not really changed. But its a little bit easier to bear when I am able to make fewer stops since they will match other stores prices. And that saves me money, which of course I love.